Assess Talent to Future-Proof Your Business
Demonstrate business results from hiring the best-fit job candidates and spotting rising stars with the skills – and will – to succeed.
Talent assessment techniques have been a staple of the recruitment industry for decades. Yet, some corporate talent teams fail to see how these selection tools can be used to revolutionize the hiring experience, while boosting productivity and the bottom line.
In particular, there are four areas where talent assessment tools are helping recruiters make a big difference.
High Volume Hiring
Predicting Performance and Potential
How to Make a Great Leader
Finding the Best Graduates
High volume hiring. Some industries always have a high staff churn. But, as recruitment becomes more time-consuming, those handling multiple recruits are under greater pressure in terms of time and money.
Talent assessment tools can help by improving and accelerating the recruitment experience for candidates, which brings a business great reputational benefits. Plus, they make the process less costly and labor intensive. Assessment tools can:
- Automate and integrate with applicant tracking systems to speed up processes, minimizing the need for human intervention.
- Screen out unqualified candidates through accurate job descriptions and questionnaires.
Measure specific attributes and skills so only the best-fit candidates advance to the next recruitment stage.
Predicting performance and potential. Can you tell the difference between a high performer and a high potential employee (HIPO)? Many organizations can’t. According to data from Gartner, HIPOs are almost twice as valuable as other employees, and just 15% of a company’s high performers are HIPOs. A person can exceed targets and perform well in one role but lack the skills and commitment to be effective in a more senior position. Recognizing those with potential to grow is essential. Yet, most organizations have no data-based method for spotting these precious individuals.
Only 15% of a company’s high performers are also HIPOs.
Talent assessment tools can identify the three attributes that differentiate high performers from HIPOs:
- Someone with true potential will want more responsibility.
- A HIPO will have what it takes to carry out their duties as a leader.
Engagement. The right person will commit to the company and take on constant challenges.
How to make a great leader. Success in business means looking to the future, not the past. The same is true when identifying the strong leaders of tomorrow. Traditionally, companies look at former or current bosses to determine how to select and shape future leaders. But research indicates most firms would replace their entire top team if possible. Clearly, something is not working.
Assessment can be used to a leader is likely to face. These tools measure what the business needs now and in the future to find employees who can fulfill those goals, rather than just addressing a checklist of conventional management traits.
Finding the best graduates. It’s a common lament of recruiters the world over: where are the graduates with the right skills, experience and attitude to adapt to the modern workplace? Too many make bad hires, expensive recruitment mistakes or just leave vacancies unfilled for want of the right candidate.
It is not just hiring managers who are dissatisfied. Graduates complain they don’t understand what’s expected from them when starting work. Talent assessment can address many of these concerns.
- Assessment can measure applicants’ employability and aptitude rather than just focusing on academic qualifications.
- Technology eliminates the need for manual screening of CVs.
- Candidate feedback can be provided quickly to help people learn from the application experience, whether they get the job or not. A positive candidate experience can boost a brand’s reputation, too.
- Once a graduate is hired, data from assessments can inform on-the-job training and identify other areas of development.
Find out more about how talent assessments can improve hiring decisions to boost business results.